|Click this link for archived Superintendent's Corner|
Superintendent's Corner Volume 1 Issue 4
From time to time I run across articles, pamphlets or memos that I like to share with readers and parents. The thoughts that I am going to share come from “The Positive Line”, and is titled, “10 Ways To Help Your Child Do Well In School”.
1. Show you care. Your child needs hugs and words of support. Ask your child about school each day.
2. Read, read, read. Read with your child or have him or her read every day. Make it fun – talk about what you’ve read.
3. Make your home a place for learning. Help your child practice reading, writing, math and science skills. Stimulate your child’s creativity.
4. Promote healthy habits. Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep and exercise and eats balanced meals. Schedule regular checkups.
5. Be a role model. Your child learns from you. Be positive about education and show you enjoy learning.
6. Encourage independence. Allow your child to make mistakes and learn to accept their consequences. Give your child responsibilities, such as household chores.
7. Create a study routine. Set a time and quiet place for your child to work every day. Go over homework together.
8. Get involved. Meet with your child’s teacher, attend school events and help out at school if you can.
9. Build success. Help raise your child’s self-esteem by setting reachable goals and praising your child’s efforts, not just results.
10. Make school important. Insist on good attendance and punctuality.
As I type and read these once again, all are crucial guides to follow, not only for your child to do well in school, but to do well in life. One of my favorite sayings is, “The best time to plant a tree is 50 years ago - the second best time is today”. This statement simply says that it is never too late to start, but it is critical to start today.
The football team had a tough loss last Saturday evening and finished their season in the second round of the playoffs. Congratulations to the players and coaches on a very successful season.
Good luck to our volleyball team as they continue to work their way through the playoffs with a game this week on Tuesday and with a victory another game on Saturday.
Make it a great week!